If you’re looking for a relationship and the gay bar scene has provided you with some less than desirable candidates, maybe you’ve toyed with the idea of searching for a match online. However, with tons of free and paid websites available at the click of a mouse, it can be an overwhelming process that may leave you wondering where to begin.
Before you dish out the dough or decide to save your pennies for a special first date, start off by taking a firm assessment of your personality traits and outline what it is that you want. By defining your dating objectives along with studying up on the differences between free and paid sites, you will be able to pick the dating site that will cater to your individual needs. Read on to learn some tips about the different kinds of dating sites out there.
Free Dating Sites. For the frugal-minded or for those looking to give the online and speed dating world a test drive, these sites are a great option. There are some downsides, but as long as you do your research, the chance for finding quality single guys and having a positive experience are in your favor.
- Because these sites are free, there isn’t much hassle that comes along with them—you just create a profile and you’re ready to mingle.
- If you are unsatisfied and don’t find that special someone, you haven’t wasted any money.
- Great for the new online dater – just getting their feet wet.
- Perfect for those trying to save a little cash.
- Since there is no risk of losing money and anyone can just sign up, you may find that you run into a lot of people who are on the sketchier end of the spectrum—it may take some weeding through bad profiles before finding that diamond in the rough.
- You have the risk of running into many fake profiles. These may be set up by the site to populate their database, by people who are bored and want to mess with the emotions of others, or by scammers trying to gain access to your bank account.
- Free internet dating sites do not often offer a high level of support in terms of customer service.
- By using these sites, you can expect to receive a lot of spam emails that are not helpful in your search for a life partner or relationship companion.
Paid Dating Sites. In general, paid dating sites are known to be your best bet if you’re looking for something more serious than just a hook up. These sites require you to pay a membership fee to use their services and they offer a variety of subscriptions for basic to premium packages at all different rates.
- Throughout the online dating community, there is a widespread belief that people who go through the trouble of paying for something are usually more dedicated and committed to it.
- Compared to free sites, paid membership dating sites seem to have deeper levels of compatibility testing. You won’t just be matched with eight people because they have the same basic interests and live near you.
- There are generally a higher number of real profiles that tend to be more in depth.
- Paid sites usually yield higher number of quality search results.
- When you join paid sites, you can trust that you will get the support and customer service that you deserve.
- Many paid sites will offer a free trial period or guarantee free months if you haven’t found a match in a certain amount of time—you can utilize these services to see if you are interested in paying for a membership with a particular company.
- You might be disappointed if you’ve paid and haven’t found anyone.
- Your expectations are higher, creating more pressure to find someone because you’ve invested not only your time, but your money.
- There are still scammers on paid dating sites—just because they’ve swiped a credit card doesn’t mean that they’re quality human beings.
- Some paid dating sites make you jump through hoops if you wish to cancel your membership.
Choosing between a free and paid online dating service is a personal preference. There are positives and negatives to both…but whichever path you decide to take, just make sure you are safe and enjoy the experience!